Storage areas help you keep track of where your inventory is being stored, how much you have, and if any items have a low inventory or expiration alert.
Typically, storage areas correspond to physical locations at your site where you store inventory. Any item from any clinical trial or supply group can be placed into, or transferred between, any storage area within Slope.
Storage area dashboard view
Clicking the Storage areas link in the left sidebar will take you to the storage area dashboard view. This view will show all the storage areas in your site, listed in alphabetical order. For each storage area, some high-level inventory metrics are shown.
You can use the view filters to filter the list of storage areas by inventory that belongs to a specific clinical trial or supply group you choose from the dropdown list.
Storage area detail view
Clicking on a storage area in the dashboard list will take you to its detail view. This view shows all the items that have been assigned to the storage area, with tabs across the top to You can also use inventory while in the storage area. Tick the checkboxes next to the items and you can use them, edit lot numbers, serial numbers, expiration dates, and assign them to a different storage area.
You are also able filter you inventory by trial, inventory type, or supply group using the dropdown view filters shown under the Storage Areas title.
Create a new storage area
Storage areas can be created from either your primary site dashboard, or by navigating to the storage areas dashboard list.
- Creating from the site dashboard - From the site dashboard simply use the site Actions button in the top right corner and select New Storage Area from the dropdown list of options.
- Creating from the storage areas dashboard - Another option is to use the left sidebar navigation to select Storage Areas. Once on the storage areas list view, you will see a New Storage Area button in the top right corner. Use this to create and name your new storage area.
The new storage area form is not terribly complicated. Just give it a name and you'll be good to go. You can also provide some notes which will be accessible from the storage area detail view. Click the Create Storage area button and you'll be forwarded to the storage area detail view for the new storage area you just created.
Editing a storage area
Editing your storage area name and adding/updating notes is simple and can be done from either the storage areas dashboard or the storage area detail view.
- Edit from the storage areas dashboard - From the storage area dashboard select the Actions button that’s inline with the storage area you wish to change. Use the Actions button and select Edit from the dropdown list of options. This allows you to edit the name and/or notes.
- Edit from the storage area detail view - From a storage area detail page you can use the Actions button in the top right corner and select Edit from the dropdown list of options. This allows you to rename a storage area or add/update any notes.
Transferring Inventory Between Storage Areas
You can easily transfer items between storage areas. Transferring inventory to other storage areas can be done several ways:
- From an inventory detail view, you can use the inline button to edit a single item and re-assign it to a new storage area.
- Select multiple items from the inventory detail view, then click the Manage checked button and select edit from the dropdown list of options. This will allow you to edit the storage area of multiple items at once.
- From the storage area detail view you can select single or edit multiple items in the same way you can from an inventory page.
Emptying a storage area
From the storage area details view, click the Actions button and select Empty storage area from the dropdown list of options. This will remove the storage area association for all the items within, effectively emptying it in a single action. Be careful because this cannot be undone.
Deleting a storage area
Deleting a storage area is a permanent event and should only be done if you’re certain you no longer need to use it or have access to the historical data that is associated with it. A storage area can only be deleted if it contains no (i.e. zero) items in a "ready" state.
If your storage area contains items in the "ready" state then you can remove it one of two ways:
- Empty the storage area as describe above
- Transition the remaining items to an unusable state such as disposed, returned, used etc.
If you’ve used the storage area in the past to document inventory transitions, then it’s highly recommended that you download a movement report associated with the storage area you intend to delete. Site admins can generate a report using the Actions button shown in the storage area details view.